As an international society the ISDE has strived for diversity through its leadership, membership, education and research initiatives by becoming more multidisciplinary in its makeup. We recognize that being more diverse can mean more than this and can also change from time-to-time. With that in mind we felt it was time to put this commitment into words, tell you how we will work towards being more diverse and how you can help.
The Board of Directors for the International Society for Diseases of the Esophagus (ISDE) is pleased to introduce the ISDE Position Statement on Diversity and Inclusion. We recognize the strength in diversity and promote a culture of equity, where all individuals are given access to the same opportunities. We will welcome and encourage diversity throughout the ISDE membership, educational events, committees, and community engagements, both individually and collectively among members.
Open Position Statement on Diversity & Inclusion
How can you help?
- Recommend diverse committee members, speakers or experts to committee chairs and/or ISDE leaders
- Forward our calls for volunteers, proposals, and/or awards to relevant affinity groups with the message that we are looking for diverse candidates
- Circulate our calls for abstracts, papers and other submissions widely amongst colleagues including those from marginalized groups, and encourage students from underrepresented groups to participate
- Speak up when you see marginalization and intimidation, and offer feedback on ISDE’s ongoing strategies for creating an environment that values and respects diversity
- Share your ideas and best practices for how we can realize our vision