The International Society for Diseases of the Esophagus (ISDE) welcomes and encourages diversity throughout its membership, education, committees, and community engagement, both individually and collectively among members. We recognize the strength in diversity and promote a culture of equity, where all individuals are given access to the same opportunities.
The ISDE Diversity and Inclusion Statement applies to all members, volunteers and staff of the ISDE. It is informed by principles of social justice and responsibility, equity and inclusivity. The statement fully embraces the society’s values of excellence, collaboration, engagement and respect through diversity and inclusion.
The ISDE will:
- Promote an inclusive community within the membership of ISDE and the International Esophageal Community in which diversity is valued, and all members feel included and respected. Diversity includes but is not limited to: sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, age, geography, religion, language, disability and socio-economic status.
- Promote diversity by specifically improving opportunities for participation and leadership for all, but especially for designated groups who have traditionally experienced societal and workplace discrimination: women, visible minorities, and people with visible or nonvisible disabilities.
- Foster programs and policies to develop and support underrepresented groups within the esophageal community. Encourage equitable recruitment and retention practices to ensure diversity among the ISDE Board of Directors, Committees, Task Forces, and other groups that may be established from time-to-time.
- Recognize that all individuals have the right to respect and acceptance without bias.
- Develop and communicate policies, as well as promote values that discourage intolerance and discrimination.
- Encourage a commitment from ISDE members and community to develop, foster, promote, and maintain an environment that values and respects diversity.
How can you help?
We value diversity in the members and communities we bring together, and we welcome your contributions to bringing a balanced representation. Here are some of the ways in which you can help us build a more diverse esophageal community.
- Recommend diverse committee members, speakers or experts to committee chairs and/or ISDE leaders
- Forward our calls for volunteers, proposals, and/or awards to relevant affinity groups with the message that we are looking for diverse candidates
- Circulate our calls for abstracts, papers and other submissions widely amongst colleagues including those from marginalized groups, and encourage students from underrepresented groups to participate
- Speak up when you see marginalization and intimidation, and offer feedback on ISDE’s ongoing strategies for creating an environment that values and respects diversity
- Share your ideas and best practices for how we can realize our vision
ISDE Position Statement on Diversity and Inclusion PDF.